Marrying abroad

If you wish to marry or enter into a registered partnership abroad, you will usually need an Extract from Dutch Population Register (BRP), to show that you are unmarried. You may also have to have a Certificate of no Impediment. The foreign authority in the location where you wish to marry or enter into a registered partnership, will be able to tell you which documents are required.

A certificate of no impediment is an international document which declares that you are allowed to marry each other according to Dutch law. In order for us to be able to ascertain if there is no impediment for you to marry each other you need to provide us with the necessary information of both of you. Note: we cannot issue the certificate on both of you and not on one person.  

The certificate costs 23.60 Euros. You only need this certificate if the foreign authority specifically requests it. You can only apply for the certificate in Eindhoven if you have Dutch nationality, and if Eindhoven was your last place of residence in the Netherlands.

In addition, you need to provide the following documents:

  • Valid passports or European identity cards (or copies if applying by post) for you and your partner.
  • A copy of proof of payment (bank statement).

Or were you looking for