When am I eligible for a personal loan?
You will be eligible for a personal loan if:
- You are 18 years or older;
- Your income is no more than 30% above the level of social welfare benefits (see table below);
- You have a letter from a commercial bank, refusing you the loan you recently applied for.
We check whether you are registered with the Dutch credit rating agency (Bureau Krediet Registratie, BKR) in Tiel. Being registered does not automatically mean you will be refused a loan, but we feel it is important that you don't take out a loan that is too high, or difficult for you to pay back.
|Single (or single parent)||1,266.55 Euros|
|Married / living together||1,809.36 Euros|
|Married / living together||1,930.87 Euros|
How much can I borrow?
The amount of money you can borrow depends on your personal and financial circumstances.
If your income is around the level of social welfare benefits, you might be able to borrow the following amounts:
- A single person: a maximum of 1,650 Euros.
- Married/living together: a maximum of 2,400 Euros.
- One-parent families: a maximum of 2,150 Euros.
Do bear in mind that borrowing money always costs money. It's not only the loan you have to repay, but also the interest due on it. At present, the interest rate for a personal loan is 7.2% on an annual basis.
How do I apply for the loan?
Print the form below (only in Dutch), complete it, sign it and send it, together with a copy of the documents required, to the address on the form.
- Aanvraagformulier persoonlijke lening (154.21 KB)
We ask that you enclose the following documents with your application:
- a valid identity document (not a driving licence) or residence permit;
- a recent pay slip or benefits statement;
- contracts of any financial obligations still current and/or account statements of the debts;
- if a move is concerned: the notification of the allocation of a home;
- all bank statements from the last 2 months;
- a letter from a commercial bank refusing to lend you money.
Have you already provided us with this documentation in the last 6 months, and nothing has changed in your circumstances in the meantime? In that case, enclose only details of your income.
Dealing with your application
You will receive a letter with the decision about your loan request by post, within 8 weeks of us receiving your application. The letter explains not only whether or not the personal loan is to be granted, but also the amount of the loan and how you are to repay it. If your application for a loan is refused, you can appeal the decision through a complaints procedure, if you so wish.
If your original application was not complete, it may take longer for us to give you our decision. How much longer is dependent on what was missing, and when you provide it.
Is there someone who can help me with my application?
If you have difficulty completing the application form, ask someone you know to help you. If that isn't possible, you can get help from an independent client support official, at no charge.
If you are unable to print the form, we can send it to you by post. To arrange that, phone the municipality on 14 040. The application form will be sent to you by post.