When am I eligible for a postal address?
The following are cases in which you would be able to apply for a postal address:
- You are homeless or known to an institution;
- You have to bridge a brief gap between two residence addresses;
- Your profession means you have no fixed home or place of residence;
- You have spent a maximum of 8 months abroad in the space of one year;
- You have been abroad for less than 2 years and sail professionally on a ship based in the Netherlands;
- You are resident in an institution, for example youth care, care home, women's shelter or prison.
Important: You may not apply for a postal address if you are briefly resident at another address or on holiday abroad.
What should I bring with me when applying?
Bring with you to the counter:
- The Declaration postal address form (only in Dutch). In it, you explain why you need a postal address. Complete the form online. Download and print the form, and sign it.
- Declaration of Permission for postal address (only in Dutch). Ask the main tenant, or owner, of the postal address to download this form, complete it, print and sign it, and give it to you.
- A copy of the main tenant's or owner's valid identity document;
- Your own valid identity document.
Important: Make sure you register correctly and provide the right information on time. If you have deliberately entered incorrect information in the Key Register of Persons (BRP), you may be fined up to 325 Euros.
How much does a postal address cost?
There is no charge for applying for a postal address.
Can I use a P.O. Box as a postal address?
No, it is not possible to use a P.O. Box as a postal address. The postal address you apply for must be the residence address of someone we can contact. That way, we can check the details of the postal address.
How do I cancel a postal address?
If you wish to cancel a postal address, because you have a new residence address, inform us of the new residence address at Moving home within or to Eindhoven. Your postal address will automatically expire.
If you have been using the address of an institution as a postal address, you cannot cancel this yourself. The institution must withdraw permission for the use as a postal address. As a result, we will start a brief address investigation.
I am the main tenant. Can I cancel the postal address?
If you are the main tenant or owner, you can withdraw your permission for the use as a postal address. To do this, write a letter to Gemeente Eindhoven, t.a.v. Publiekscontacten, Postbus 90150, 5600 RB Eindhoven or sent an e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org. Enclose a copy or scan of your valid identity document. You can also come to the appropriate counter. In that case, bring your valid identity document with you.
After you withdraw your permission, we don't immediately de-register the person who used your address as a postal address. We first start an address investigation and write to the person who has the postal address. If this person fails to respond, we de-register them from your address. If this person does respond, and gives another residence or postal address, we register them at that new address.
We aim to complete the investigation within 13 weeks. This amount of time is necessary because it's not always easy to ascertain a person's place of residence.