How do I recognise parentage of my child?
Recognising parentage can only be done in person at the appropriate counter at Residents' Plaza. Make an appointment to do this.
When you recognise a child, you agree to take on parenthood. You can recognise parentage of a child as father, or as mother who did not give birth to the child (the 'recogniser'). We record the recognition of parenthood in a deed of recognition.
Important! The 'recogniser' is is not automatically given parental responsibility for the child. Read more about parental responsibility at rijksoverheid.nl.
The mother and the 'recogniser' decide together which surname the child will be given. You can only make this decision for the first child. Any subsequent children will be given the same surname.
What should I bring with me to the appointment?
That depends on whether you are recognising the child before or after the birth. The mother and the ‘recogniser’ only need to be present in person at the recognition of the first child. In case of any subsequent children (with the same parents), the mother’s written permission is sufficient. To do this, complete the online form (only in Dutch) and print it. Please ensure that the mother signs the form. Bring the completed and signed form with you to the appointment.
Before the birth
Are you recognising parenthood of a child before the birth? You should bring with you to the appointment:
- Valid passports or identity cards for the 'recogniser' and the mother;
- If the 'recogniser' and/or the mother lives (or has lived) abroad, or has/have a foreign nationality, please phone Residents’ Plaza (Inwonersplein) at 14 040.
After the birth
Are you recognising parenthood of a child after the birth? You should bring with you to the appointment:
- A valid passport or identity card for the 'recogniser' and the mother;
- If the child is 12 years old or older, we require consent from both the child and the mother. If the child is over the age of 16 years, we require consent only from the child. In both cases, the child must be present during the application;
- If the 'recogniser' and/or the mother lives (or has lived) abroad, or has/have a foreign nationality, please phone Residents’ Plaza (Inwonersplein) at 14 040;
- If the child was born abroad, please phone Residents’ Plaza (Inwonersplein) at 14 040.
What does recognising parentage of a child cost?
There is no charge for recognising parentage of a child.
How do I legally recognise my child if one of us has a nationality other than Dutch?
Is there a parent who is not of Dutch nationality? In that case, we have a few questions we need to ask so we can prepare the appointment efficiently. Please phone us to make an appointment.