How do I apply to change gender information?
You can only apply to change gender information in the municipality in which you were born. And you must be 16 or older. Make an appointment to apply in person to change gender information. This appointment will be made with an Ambtenaar van de Burgerlijke Stand (Civil Registrar).
What should I bring with me to the appointment?
Bring the following items with you to the appointment:
- A valid passport or identity card
- A statement from an expert in transgender matters. The statement must be an original (not a copy) and no more than six months old. Experts who can give you such a statement are:
- Het Kennis- en Zorgcentrum voor genderdysforie (Knowledge and Care Centre for gender dysphoria) at the VUmc hospital in Amsterdam.
- The Genderteam at the UMCG university hospital in Groningen.
- The Genderteam at the LUMC university hospital in Leiden.
- Any other registered expert in gender dysphoria listed in the BIG register, see bigregister.nl.
What does the change in gender information entail?
As the municipality in which you were born, we note the change in your birth certificate. If you live in Eindhoven, the change will automatically be made in the Key Register of Persons (Basisregistratie Personen, BRP). If you live in another municipality, we will pass on the information about the change to the municipality in which you live. As soon as this information has been processed in the administration, you will receive notice of this. The length of time this takes varies from one municipality to another.
Your new gender and first name or names will be used in the system and in any communications. We also pass the information on to the following organisations:
- Belastingdienst (Tax authority)
- CAK Centraal Administratiekantoor (Central Administration Office)
- DUO Dienst Uitvoering Onderwijs (Executive Education Agency, formerly IB group)
- Pension funds
- RDW Rijksdienst voor het wegverkeer (Department of Road Transport)
- SVB Sociale Verzekeringsbank (organisation which implements national insurance schemes)
- Health insurers
Can I also change my name?
When registering a gender change, you can also choose another first name. There's no restriction on the number of first names you choose, regardless of the number of first names you have now. You don't need any extra documents to do this.
What does it cost to change gender information?
There is no charge for changing your gender information or for changing your name during the application to change gender information.
Are my identity documents still valid after changing my gender information?
Changing your gender information means your passport, identity card and driving licence are no longer valid, so you hand them in to us. It's important that you then also immediately apply to renew these documents.
I was born outside the Netherlands. Where can I go for answers?
If you were born outside the Netherlands, you must get in touch with the Civil Registrar in the municipality of The Hague.