How do I apply for a passport or identity card and what do I need?
First, make an appointment online to request a passport or identity card. Bring the following items with you to the appointment:
- Any proof of identity and passports your already own, even if they are no longer valid,
- 1 passport photo (in colour). Read the criteria Central government has set for a passport photo at Rijksoverheid.nl,
- The required fee (direct debit card or cash).
If you are younger than 12 years (at the moment of requesting an identity card) or 18 years (at the moment of requesting a passport), also bring the following:
- A copy of your parent's or legal guardian's identity documents, signed. Will a parent or guardian be accompanying you to the appointment? He or she should also bring proof of identity with them,
- Written consent from your parents or legal guardians, including signature. Your parent or legal guardian can use the online consent form for travel document minor (only in Dutch): complete, print and sign.
Would you like more information about legal guardianship? Read the information about legal guardianship at Rijksoverheid.nl.
What does a passport or identity card cost?
|Child (up to 18 years)||28.60 Euros||51.45 Euros|
|Adult||50.65 Euros||64.75 Euros|
|Child (up to 18 years)||76.15 Euros||99.00 Euros|
|Adult||98.20 Euros||112.30 Euros|
If you wish to have the document delivered, indicate this in your application. The extra postage costs of 6.95 Euros should be paid with the application.
Can I request the urgent issue of a passport or identity card?
Yes, certainly. If you apply for the passport or identity card no later than 2 p.m., mostly you can pick up the document the next working day. If you apply after 2 p.m., it will take an extra working day. When applying, indicate that you wish the document issued urgently. Urgent issue costs extra, see 'What does a passport or identity card cost?' for exact fees. If you have the document issued urgently, it is not possible to have it delivered.
Urgent passport application in the case of loss or theft of passport or identity card
If your passport or identity card has been lost or stolen, you must first report it missing. You can only apply for a new one immediately if you report the loss or theft at the counter. See ‘My passport or identity card has been lost or stolen. What should I do?‘ An urgent application is not always possible in this situation. The staff member at the counter will decide. If you have reported 3 or more identity documents (passport or identity card) lost or stolen within 5 years, it is not possible to request urgency.
When can I collect the document?
You can collect the document after 5 working days at the counter at Residents' Plaza. It is not necessary to make an appointment to do this. You can pick up a travel document during the whole day.
Bring your collection receipt and any old travel documents you may have with you. Should your identity document be ready for collection earlier, we will inform you of this by e-mail.
Can I also have the passport or identity card delivered?
Yes, certainly, as long as:
- you can be reached by e-mail;
- you haven't requested urgency for your application;
- you don't want to keep your expired travel document;
- you have not reported more than 3 missing travel documents in the space of 5 years;
- you are registered with a residence address and not a correspondence address;
- your address is not currently being investigated by the municipal council (see the page about address investigation);
- your previous travel document is not registered as 'missing'.
Indicate in your application that you wish to have the document delivered. The extra costs should be paid with the application (see 'What does a passport or identity card cost?').
The delivery will be carried out by Dynalogic. Each courier carries proof of identity and wears a recognisable red and yellow Dynalogic uniform. The name and a photo of the courier is also available through the Track & Trace link you receive, if you choose delivery.
Do you have any complaints about the delivery? Please get in touch with Dynalogic:
If you still have some questions regarding the delivery and when delivery is possible, ask the staff member at the counter when you come to apply for your travel document.
(video only in Dutch)
For how long is a passport or identity card valid?
- Passport or identity card for adults: 10 years
- Passport or identity card for minors up to 18 years: 5 years
This applies to documents issued after March 9th, 2014. Passports and identity cards issued before this date are valid for 5 years.
What should I do if my travel document has expired?
If your travel document has expired, hand it in to us when you come to pick up your newly requested identity document. It is not possible to extend the time it is valid.
Are you travelling abroad? Check, with the travel agency for example, how long your travel document must be valid. In some countries, it must be valid only until your return home, while in other countries, it must be valid for another 6 months after your return home. You may not cross the border with an expired passport or identity card, even if you are travelling within the European Union.
Can I also apply for a passport with extra pages?
Yes, certainly. That's called a business passport. It can be useful if you travel extensively. Just make an appointment for the application for a new passport and mention in the application that you are requesting a business passport. The price is the same as for an ordinary passport.
My passport or identity card has been lost or stolen. What should I do?
You should report any loss or theft of your Dutch passport or identity card to us. There are two ways of doing that:
- Report the loss or theft online (only in Dutch). Log in with your DigiD and complete the form. You will receive an e-mail confirming receipt of your report.
- At the appropriate counter at Residents' Plaza. Make an appointment to report the loss or theft at the appropriate counter.
Important: If you report the loss or theft online, processing and control mean that it will be 2 working days before you can request a new travel document at the counter. You don’t want to wait for 2 working days? Then you should report the loss or theft at the appropriate counter, at the same time as you apply for a new passport or identity card. Make sure you bring with you the identity papers you do still have.
We record the loss or theft in order to prevent fraud and misuse. The validity of the travel document expires from the moment the loss or theft is registered. The registration takes place on the first working day following the reporting of the loss or theft.
If you have reported 3 or more identity documents (passport or identity card) lost or stolen within 5 years, it may take longer before you are issued with a new identity document, and it is not possible to request urgency.
Loss or theft abroad
If your passport or identity card has been lost or stolen abroad, report it as quickly as possible to the local police. Immediately after that, request a new passport or temporary travel document from the Dutch embassy or consulate, so you can travel back to the Netherlands.
Once back in Eindhoven, you hand in the temporary travel document (laissez-passé or emergency document) to us, along with your application for a new identity document. You will also receive written confirmation of the loss or theft of your old identity document.
Loss or theft of a foreign passport
If your foreign passport has been lost or stolen, report this to the police, also if it concerns a passport from Curaçao, St. Maarten, Aruba, Bonaire, Sint Eustatius or Saba (BES countries, formerly the Dutch Antilles).
Passport or identity card recovered
You may not use a passport which is recovered after it has been reported missing. If you have recovered a missing passport, please hand it in to us. We are required to destroy any travel documents recovered.
I am unable to come to the appropriate counter in person. What should I do?
If you are unable to come to the appropriate counter, you can authorise someone to make the application on your behalf. Important: this is only possible when applying for an identity card. To do this, use the authorisation form:
Authorisation for application for an identity card (only in Dutch)
Complete the form, print the authorisation and sign it. Have the authorised representative sign it too. The authorised representative then makes an appointment to submit the application.
He or she brings the following items to the appointment:
- The authorisation, completed by you and signed by both you and the authorised representative;
- A declaration from your physician or specialist stating you are unable to come to the municipal offices;
- All your identity documents and passports, even if they are no longer valid;
- A passport photo. Read the criteria Central government has set for a passport photo (at rijksoverheid.nl);
- A valid identity document of the authorised person;
- The required fee (direct debit card or cash).
We will subsequently make an appointment with you for a home visit. During this visit we will check that all the information is correct.