How do I apply for a driving licence?
You can apply for your driving licence in the following two ways:
- Make an appointment online, or phone 14 040 (weekdays from 8.30 a.m. to 5 p.m.) to make an appointment. Come to the Inwonersplein (Residents’ Plaza) at the appointed time on the appointed day and you will not have to wait.
- Come to the appropriate counter at the Residents’ Plaza without making an appointment (weekdays from 9 a.m. to 1 p.m.).
What do I need to bring?
Bring the following with you:
- Valid proof of identity (passport, identity card);
- If renewing: your current driving licence. Tell us if your driving licence is lost or has been stolen. You will then receive a statement of loss;
- One passport photo in colour that meets the requirements, see rijksoverheid.nl;
- Your debit card (or cash);
- Depending on your age and, state of health: an Eigen Verklaring (Statement of Health) see cbr.nl.
What does a driving licence cost?
|Type of driving licence||Cost|
|Conventional driving licence||38.95 Euros|
|Application following loss or theft||63.45 Euros|
|Urgent application following loss or theft||97.55 Euros|
When can I collect my new driving licence?
You can collect your new driving licence after five working days. If you have given us your e-mail address and your driving licence is ready earlier, you will receive an e-mail from us.
When you come to collect your new driving licence, bring your old one and the application receipt with you. You hand in your old driving licence when you receive your new one.
Can I apply for a driving licence urgently?
Yes you can. If you apply for your driving licence before 2 p.m., you can collect it the following weekday. If you apply for it after 2 p.m., it may not be ready until a weekday later. When you apply, mention that it is an urgent application. You will pay extra for an urgent application.
You cannot submit an urgent application if you have already lost three or more proof of identity documents since 1 December 2013.
What should I do if my driving licence is stolen?
If you have lost your driving licence or it has been stolen, mention that when you apply for your new driving licence. You will then receive a statement of loss.
Je kunt de vermissing ook aan de balie melden, zonder dat je meteen een nieuw rijbewijs aanvraagt. Je kunt een afspraak maken voor vermissing rijbewijs/reisdocument als je dat fijn vindt.
How long is my driving licence valid for?
A driving licence is valid for 10 years. In some cases (depending on your age and state of health) a driving licence is only valid for five years. Your new driving licence is valid from the date you applied for it.
Apply for your new driving licence before its period of validity expires. You may not drive once it has expired and you will no longer be insured.