What are the preconditions for applying for a second passport?
In order to be eligible for a second passport, it's important that you meet the following preconditions:
- Your passport has been sent off in connection with a visa application or you are travelling to a country that is in conflict with a country of which you have a stamp or visa in your passport
- Your first passport is valid for at least another six months
- You can prove that travelling is necessary
- You apply for the passport in the municipality in which you are registered
- You do not use the second passport as an emergency passport
- You have no objection to the counter staff assessing your travel behaviour, for example by checking that the aforementioned stamps and visa are present in your current passport
- An identity card is not valid for your travel needs. Read more about the differences between a passport and an identity card at rijksoverheid.nl
Do be aware that travelling with two passports can be risky. At checkpoints, having two passports will raise questions. Travelling with two passports is always at your own risk.
What should I bring with me when applying?
You will always need the following items:
- Any proof of identity and passports your already own, even if they are no longer valid
- Any documents that prove that a second passport is necessary
- 1 passport photo. Check the requirements for a passport photo at rijksoverheid.nl
If you don't have your passport because you sent it off in connection with a visa application, also bring the following items:
- Proof that you have a trip booked in the period that your passport is not in your possession
- Proof that you have surrendered your passport for a visa application.
If you are travelling to a country that is in conflict with a country of which you have a stamp or visa in your passport, also bring:
- proof that this situation has been established by the Ministerie van Buitenlandse Zaken (Ministry of Foreign Affairs).
What does the passport cost?
|Delivery charges*||€ 15.00 per passport|
*Delivery is not possible in the case of an urgent application.
Can I request the urgent issue of a second passport?
Yes, certainly. If you apply for the passport or identity card no later than 2 p.m., mostly you can pick up the document the next working day. If you apply after 2 p.m., it will take an extra working day. When applying, indicate that you wish the document issued urgently. Urgent issue costs extra, see 'What does a passport or identity card cost?' for exact fees. If you have the document issued urgently, it is not possible to have it delivered.
Urgent passport application in the case of loss or theft of passport or identity card
If your passport or identity card has been lost or stolen, you must first report it missing. You can only apply for a new one immediately if you report the loss or theft at the counter. See ‘My passport or identity card has been lost or stolen. What should I do?‘ An urgent application is not always possible in this situation. The staff member at the counter will decide. If you have reported 3 or more identity documents (passport or identity card) lost or stolen within 5 years, it is not possible to request urgency.
When can I collect the document?
You can collect the document after 5 working days at the counter at Residents' Plaza. It is not necessary to make an appointment to do this. You can pick up a travel document during the whole day.
Bring your collection receipt and any old travel documents you may have with you. Should your identity document be ready for collection earlier, we will inform you of this by e-mail.
Can I also have the passport delivered?
Yes, certainly, as long as:
- you can be reached by e-mail;
- you haven't requested urgency for your application;
- you have not reported more than 3 missing travel documents in the space of 5 years;
- you are registered with a residence address and not a correspondence address;
- your address is not currently being investigated by the municipal council (see the page about address investigation);
- your previous travel document is not registered as 'missing'.
Indicate in your application that you wish to have the document delivered. The extra costs should be paid with the application (see 'What does a passport or identity card cost?').
The delivery will be carried out by Dynasure. Each courier carries proof of identity and wears a recognisable red and yellow uniform. The name and a photo of the courier is also available through the Track & Trace link you receive, if you choose delivery.
Complaints about the delivery
Do you have any complaints about the delivery? Please get in touch with Dynasure:
• by e-mail to: email@example.com;
• by telephone on 0348-462 873 (weekdays from 9 a.m. to 8 p.m. and Saturdays from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m.).
Questions regarding the delivery
If you still have some questions regarding the delivery and when delivery is possible, ask the staff member at the counter when you come to apply for your travel document.
(video only in Dutch)
For how long is a second passport valid?
A second passport is valid for 2 years from the date of application.
What should I do if my travel document has expired?
If your travel document has expired, hand it in to us when you come to pick up your newly requested identity document. It is not possible to extend the time it is valid.
Are you travelling abroad? Check, with the travel agency for example, how long your travel document must be valid. In some countries, it must be valid only until your return home, while in other countries, it must be valid for another 6 months after your return home. You may not cross the border with an expired passport or identity card, even if you are travelling within the European Union.
My second passport has been lost or stolen. What should I do?
You should report any loss or theft of your Dutch passport or identity card to us. There are two ways of doing that:
- Report the loss or theft online (only in Dutch). Log in with your DigiD and complete the form. You will receive an e-mail confirming receipt of your report.
- At the appropriate counter at Residents' Plaza. Make an appointment to report the loss or theft at the appropriate counter.
Important: If you report the loss or theft online, processing and control mean that it will be 2 working days before you can request a new travel document at the counter. You don’t want to wait for 2 working days? Then you should report the loss or theft at the appropriate counter, at the same time as you apply for a new passport or identity card. Make sure you bring with you the identity papers you do still have.
We record the loss or theft in order to prevent fraud and misuse. The validity of the travel document expires from the moment the loss or theft is registered. The registration takes place on the first working day following the reporting of the loss or theft.
If you have reported 3 or more identity documents (passport or identity card) lost or stolen within 5 years, it may take longer before you are issued with a new identity document, and it is not possible to request urgency.
Loss or theft abroad
If your passport or identity card has been lost or stolen abroad, report it as quickly as possible to the local police. Immediately after that, request a new passport or temporary travel document from the Dutch embassy or consulate, so you can travel back to the Netherlands.
Once back in Eindhoven, you hand in the temporary travel document (laissez-passé or emergency document) to us, along with your application for a new identity document. You will also receive written confirmation of the loss or theft of your old identity document.
Loss or theft of a foreign passport
If your foreign passport has been lost or stolen, report this to the police, also if it concerns a passport from Curaçao, St. Maarten, Aruba, Bonaire, Sint Eustatius or Saba (BES countries, formerly the Dutch Antilles).
Passport or identity card recovered
You may not use a passport which is recovered after it has been reported missing. If you have recovered a missing passport, please hand it in to us. We are required to destroy any travel documents recovered.