How can I renew my driving license online or add a category?
From now on you can also renew your driving license online. You only have to go to the municipality instead of twice; just to pick up the new driver's license.
For online renewal the following conditions apply:
- You have a valid Dutch driving license.
- You have the highest security level of your DigiD; the DigiD app. And with that you have done the one-off check of your identity card.
- Go with your current driver's license to an RDW-certified passport photo photographer (info in Dutch only).
- There you will make a (digital) passport photo and put the signature that comes later on your driving license.
- The photographer sends your passport photo and signature securely and digitally to the RDW.
- The RDW compares your new passport photo with that on your current driving license and lets you know by e-mail within a few minutes whether you can renew your driving license online.
- In that e-mail there is a link to the site where you can apply for your driving license.
- You settle with iDEAL.
- As soon as your driver's license is ready, you will receive an e-mail from the RDW.
- You can then collect your new driving license from the municipality. You can during the opening hours just walk in. You do not have to make an appointment for the collection. Do bring your current driver's license. You have to surrender that.
More information about the online renewal of your driving license can be found on the website of the RDW (info in Dutch only).
What does a driving licence cost?
|Type of driving licence||Cost 2019|
|Conventional driving licence||39.75 Euros|
|Urgent application||73.85 Euros|
|Application following loss or theft||64.25 Euros*|
|Urgent application following loss or theft||98.35 Euros*|
*The cost of replacing a stolen or missing driving licence is higher than that of applying for a normal licence, because it involves extra work for us. We have to draw up a report about the missing licence, for example.
What do I need to bring?
- If it's your first driving license: your valid proof of identity (passport, identity card);
- If renewing: your current driver's license. Notify us if your driving license is lost or stolen. You will then receive a declaration of absence. In that case, take a passport or ID card as proof of identity;
- 1 passport photo in colour, see rijksoverheid.nl for the requirements;
- Your debit card (or cash);
- Depending on your age, health and the category: an Gezondheidsverklaring (Statement of Health) see cbr.nl.
When can I collect my new driving licence?
You can collect your new driving licence after 5 working days. If you have given us your e-mail address and your driving licence is ready earlier, you will receive an e-mail from us.
When you come to collect your new driving licence, bring your old one and the application receipt with you. You hand in your old driving licence when you receive your new one.
How long is my driving licence valid for?
A driving licence is valid for 10 years. In some cases (depending on your age and state of health) a driving licence is only valid for five years. Your new driving licence is valid from the date you applied for it.
Apply for your new driving licence before its period of validity expires. You may not drive once it has expired and you will no longer be insured.
When can I first apply for a driving licence?
You may start taking driving lessons, and sit an interim test, when you’re 16½ years old. When you’re aged 17 or older, you may take the practical test at the Centraal Bureau Rijvaardigheidsbewijzen (CBR or Driving Standards Agency).
If you’ve passed your driving test, you can apply to us for a driving licence. You’re not yet 18 years old? You’ll need a chaperone’s pass. We’ll check our system to see if a chaperone’s pass is registered. If not, you can’t apply for your driving licence. And you may not drive without this pass. If you’re aged 18 or older when you apply for your driving licence, you no longer need a chaperone’s pass.
You’ll find more information about the chaperone’s pass, getting your licence and driving under 18 years of age at www.rijksoverheid.nl (Dutch only).
Can I apply for a driving licence urgently?
Yes you can. If you apply for your driving licence before 2 p.m., you can collect it the following weekday. If you apply for it after 2 p.m., it may not be ready until a weekday later. When you apply, mention that it is an urgent application. You will pay extra for an urgent application.
What should I do if my driving licence is stolen?
If you have lost your driving licence or it has been stolen, mention that when you apply for your new driving licence. You will then receive a statement of loss.
You can also report the loss or theft of the document at the appropriate counter, without immediately applying for a new one. If you like, you can make an appointment about loss or theft of a driving licence or travel document.